Friday, July 16, 2010

Food in Review

Another week of successful meals is under our belts, literally. I was feeling incredibly uninspired by meal planning this week, especially since I had to do our grocery shopping after work on Monday. That is, in no way, the way I prefer to grocery shop. It makes me rushed and tried....and I still have to COOK when I get home! Ugh. Nonetheless, I really think that we managed to have some great meals this week.

Monday, we had extremely simple tostadas with fat free, organic refried black beans, grilled chicken breasts, mixed greens, some sour cream, and salsa on crisp tostada shells. I was SO hungry that they were wolfed down literally as soon as they hit the plate. I cracked the shells making them because my hands were shaking so bad from hunger. They never stood a chance.

Tuesday, we had baked potatoes stuffed with roasted cauliflower and broccoli, a little crumbled turkey bacon, reduced fat cheese, a little sour cream and butter. It was creamy and oh-so-glorious! The broccoli and cauliflower were roasted for about half an hour at 400 with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder....turned over and over till lovely and caramelized.



Wednesday was Greek-style chop salad. I used organic mixed baby greens and spinach with red onion, pepperoncinis, olives, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, and grilled chicken. I totally forgot about the feta! Isn't that sort of sin....leaving feta off of a Greek salad?? And on the side: HOMEMADE SUNDRIED TOMATO HUMMUS!!!!!!!!!! Holy Moses, I was so happy about this that I danced around the kitchen! It's a shame that the photos of it are all fuzzy. I'm still not very good at this camera thing.


The husbands absolute favorite thing in the world was dinner for our 2 year, 5 month anniversary. :) Ruebens! With oven-fried okra on the side. Ruebens are extremely simple, yet delicious. I fry the sauerkraut with brown mustard, grill the roast been, put it on rye bread with a special sauce and provolone and grill the entire sandwich. It gets creamy and melty with lots of strong flavors. It's our kind of comfort food, for certain! Sadly....my hunger got the better of me again. No photos!

The best part, I used the leftover roasted veg, baby spinach, grilled chicken, red onion, and added some Israeli cous cous, olive oil, and balsamic. Add a blob of homemade hummus = greatness in lunch form! This little pasta salad rocked my lunch. I love using left overs for lunch!

Happy Friday! I've got the water park to look forward to and this cutie (the big boy; not sure I'm quite ready to take the itty one)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment