Friday, January 21, 2011

Food in Review

Okay, so you all know of my tragic brisket on Sunday.  Thankfully, one bad meal did not define the week's meals as a whole.

Sunday:  I used the recipe described here.  The flavor was great.  The cooking time should probably be adjusted, or the temp, as I have been informed by someone I trust that I did not cook it long enough.  The sweet potato was amazing...cooked for over an hour in the stove with the brisket.

 


Monday: We test drove cars, so we did the $1 pulled pork sandwich deal at Dickey's.  Delicious.

Tuesday:  I had chopped brisket on the mind.  I thought it was the only way to save a tough brisket, which was backed by others.  I chopped most of the remaining brisket and simmered it in the remainder of a dwindling jar of salsa.  Meanwhile, I played with something new!  I've eaten plantains in Brazilian restaurants before, but never cooked with them.  I decided to go with baked plantain chips.  I tossed the sliced plantain in sunflower oil, salt, pepper, and hot smoked paprika then baked at 375 for about 18 minutes, turning once.  The result was might crisp and filling.  I do believe another good glug of oil would have been good though.  They were a bit dry.  I served the chopped beef in La Tortilla Factory half wheat/half corn whole grain tortillas.  Oh man, those tortillas were killer.  If you find them (these were at my local Kroger and very affordable), try them.  Great texture and flavor.  No compromise needed for going healthy on these. 



Wednesday:  I wanted stuffed acorn squash.  I know, typical.  About every third week, I crave roasted squash.  This one was very similar to all my others.  I baked the squash at 400 for almost an hour and cooked up some kamut the night before.  So, when it came dinner Wednesday, I just reheated the squash and made the filling.  This filling started with sauteed garlic and onions.  I added these amazing chicken sausages I found at Central Market.  They were orange cranberry walnut with actual segments of orange, whole cranberries, and chunks of walnut.  Oh my goodness.  Must have more.  I went with the citrus theme and added the juice of an entire lemon and two teaspoon of tahini with some veggie stock to flavor the kamut.  I threw in a little kale for something green and let it simmer till all of the stock was gone.  This was heaven.  


Thursday:  Pizza time.  Pizza Melanzana!  Okay, I made that up.  But I bet the Italians like eggplant on pizza....wouldn't you think?  I used the same crust as last time the night before.  When I got home, I peeled and roasted an eggplant at 350 with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flake till gooey.  I topped my pizza with a sauce I found on sale that looked great....Artichoke Parmesan Marinara by Mezzetta who make the giardiniera that I love.  The whole thing was covered in shredded jack and parm then baked till GBD (sorry, channeled my inner Alton there...that's Golden Brown and Delicious).  The crust was SPOT ON this time, just the right amount of chewiness, fluffy, and light.  The eggplant melted into the pizza.  I cannot wait to eat this again! 





And a little view from my evening on the floor with Ri. 




Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Some delectable eats you've got going on there!!! I think the pizza is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete