Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Not a resolution, but a mantra

So, I have never been huge on resolutions, which seems to be pretty darn common.  I am big on goals and mantras though.  Wikipedia defines a mantra as 'a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that are considered capable of "creating transformation"'.

I poured over quotes of all kinds - from philosophy to literary to pop culture - for the wedding.  I wanted to rely people far more wise and insightful to put words to my feelings.  I love the outcome! 

And so, in the new year, I think I'll just adopt a mantra that I hope will propel me forward....to make me stretch a little and get uncomfortable.  Comfort creates ruts.  And ruts lead to apathy.  I certainly have no desire to be apathetic toward my life.

I'm leaving my mantra for the year up to Eleanor Roosevelt, who apparently is one insightful gem of a woman!  My mantra for the year is simply "do one thing every day that scares you".

I don't mean that to be literal....as in every single day, but simply more often.  I'm a play-it-safe girl.  I have a low tolerance for risk.  It nearly kept me from meeting my husband (because internet dating is expensive and scary!).  It nearly kept me from going back to school (because college is expensive and scary!).  It nearly kept me from getting a dog (because dogs are expensive and scary!).

I think you see the issue.  Not only am I a scardy-cat, but I'm a cheap one!  So, I am going to do a little investing in me if need be to try to expand my life.  I've allowed myself to become overwhelmed far too often by simple stagnation and the ho-hum every day.  I don't want to drift through life and watch it happen around me.  I want experiences that enrich my life and bring me closer to my loved ones, especially my husband. 

I'm starting with something very scary this evening.  I'll let you know how it turns out!

1 comment:

  1. I love your expensive and scary excuse... it's true about most things in life! :)

    ReplyDelete