Thursday, April 29, 2010

Expectations

You never know what's important to you in a wedding (not a marriage, a wedding) until you plan one. We were almost always willing to work with each other about how the day and the event would go....until we hit a few sticking points. And let me tell you, they were NOT the same points you'd expect!

My sticking points:
  • The venue had to be able to accommodate both the ceremony and reception. I hate the idea of transportation between venues and dual rental fees.
  • The food had to be great.

His sticking points:
  • Saturday and Sunday ONLY. I brought up a Friday night once. Let's just say it didn't go well.
  • There had to be some form of open bar.
  • His bout had to be different than all the other bouts.

Thankfully, these were fairly easy to do and there were so few of them that we worked around each others "musts". I can imagine that there are definitely areas that clash in some weddings though. I have to say from my own experience, I was surprised that he had "musts". Stereotypically, brides are the ones that "have to have things a certain way", not grooms. But they have them! And really, that made me really happy to do things that mattered to him.

Have you run into any situations where the "musts" can't be combined? How do you deal with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment