Friday, November 12, 2010

Food in Review

Not sure how to describe this week.....welcoming fall?

Friday: We welcomed the new Freebirds in Denton.  Me with a carnitas burrito bowl full of pico, house-roasted hot tomatillo salsa, corn salsa, rice and black beans.  My only complaint?  Too much cheese, if you can believe it!  Other than that, it was pure heaven in bowl form.  No photos were taken to save me the shame of admitting exactly how much food I dominated in one sitting. 

Saturday: We had plans for a pre-thanksgiving feast with friends.  They literally host Thanksgiving early....with three different turkeys done three different ways!  Epic. But Riley's swollen face kept us from the feat.  Our back up plan.  A grilled cheese sandwich.  Yep.  Just that.  Not even a side.  Sad in comparison, no?

Sunday: I made up for Saturday's sorry meal with some slow cooked comfort food!  I made my very first beef stew!  I used stew meat from CM's meat counter, organic yukon gold potatoes, organic carrots, pearl onions, fresh sage, thyme, and rosemary.  I loosely followed this Shiner recipe and used about 2/3 a bottle of bock.  Then it cooked.....all day.  The end result was fall-apart melt-in-you-mouth meat but the veg still held its shape.  Perfect combo.  Served with bread and butter.


Monday: Kroger had Muir Glen pasta sauces for $2.99 each.  That's an insanely good price.  I love their tomato products, and it seemed like a good time to try the pasta sauce.  I got the Cabernet Marinara and paired it with Rising Moon's basil, asiago, and pinenut pesto ravioli, a Caesar salad, and a ciabatta roll from WF.  The ciabatta and sauce were great.  The salad was just a salad.  The pasta was downright disappointing.  I'll be going back to the CM brand organic raviolis.


Tuesday: More stew...this time stew that's sat for two days.  Something about left over comfort food dishes (like stew, chili or lasagna) taste SO MUCH better days later.  Like the manicotti from CM a few weeks ago!  I hated it the first night.  I could have eaten my weight in it the second go-round.  The stew did not disappoint at all.  This time it was paired with leftover whole wheat buttermilk biscuits from gaming on Saturday, again, Mama Pea's recipe.

Wednesday: I went for an easy one after dance class.  Soup and sandwiches.  Soup of choice was Campbell's Italian Wedding.  Sandwich was turkey pastrami, sharp white cheddar, arugula, and horseradish mayo on toasted everything bagel thins.  Believe it or not, this meal rocked me to my core.  It was amazing.  Wish the everything bagels where whole grain though.


Thursday: I wanted to use up the pasta sauce, so I did something I rarely do.....I put it on "regular" pasta.  See, my half Italian (and I mean his mother is actually from Italy not a descendant) ate a little too much spaghetti and marinara in his youth.  Shocking, right?  So, I try not to make long, strand-style pasta with red sauce.  But I love it!  So, I added some crispy prosciutto to the mix in the hope that the addition of a favorite ingredient would disguise the fact that we are, in fact, eating one of his least favorite dishes.  At least I went for whole wheat linguine instead of spaghetti.  That counts, right??

Riley wishes you all a wonderful weekend!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment