Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Prep work

So, Sundays around here aren't strictly football.  They're also prep day.  I clean whatever I see fit (this week my bedroom), do the laundry, and bake anything that would take longer than half an hour that I want during the week.

Lately, now that the mornings are cooler, I've been making pots of steel cut oats to have for breakfast every morning.  Steel cut oats have become my absolute favorites!  They're creaming, yet the still retain quite a nice crunch.  Plus, they reheat beautifully.


So, I make about 3-4 portions a week.  I know I'll want to mix it up a bit, so I try to never make one for every single day.  This week, for four portions, I used 3 cups of water, a cup of milk, 1 1/4 cup of steel cut oats an 1/4 cup of flax mill.  I've never added the flax to the original batch (only after the fact) and I love how much nuttier the whole batch tastes because of it.  Plus, well, flax is full of omega-3.  I should use WAY more of it because I'm not a huge fan of oily fish.  I combine everything at once, bring to a oil, then cook for about 20-25 minutes until it's nice and thick.  Then just portion it out.


In the morning, the precooked oats get plopped in a pot with some milk to loosen it up.  It turns into one solid blob in the fridge.  Break the blob up and whip it a bit to incorporate the added milk.  Then go crazy with any add ins you want!  My favorite is little blobs of peanut butter and a scoop of jelly at the very end.  You get pockets of PB that way!  And the jelly sweetens the batch.

This is a total convenience food for me.  I can let it heat while I make breakfast.  Then I get to sit with Riley on the couch she's allowed on to enjoy it.  It's our morning cuddle time!

No comments:

Post a Comment