Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dance card


Monday marked the start of two very hectic weeks for me.  I’m not one to make a zillion obligations during the week.  I prefer to have my evening to cook, spent time with the puppy and the hubby, and refuel for the next work day.  I’m not exactly what you’d call a fountain of energy or excitement during the week.  Most weeks, my only obligation is Wednesday night dance class a couple blocks from my house for an hour.

The next two weeks, however, my dance card is quiet literally FULL.  This Monday and next Monday night, I have rehearsal in our performance space from 8-9pm.  This Wednesday and next, I have my regularly scheduled practice from 6-7.  This Thursday we have a performance opportunity (a mini hafla).  Next Thursday is the real deal, our Christmas Hafla.  (FYI - hafla just means dance party.)  Add to that, I don’t have my entire costume all ready, so I need to find the missing bits in my “spare time”.  

Why all the rehearsals?  Why not skip some?  Well, because I stink at the dances.  These two dances have been harder on me than any of the dances I have learned yet.  I honestly think the dance we did for the Summer Hafla was more difficult, but I picked it up much more quickly than either of the two we’re doing at this performance in less than two weeks.  I have been nothing but frustrated this semester.  See, I have an issue.  When I set my mind do doing something, I generally just “put my chin down” (what a good friend of mine calls my determined face) and get it done.  Period.  So, even though, I’d set my mind to learning these, I’m still struggling.  It’s foreign territory for me, and I can’t say that I like it one iota!  

I suppose a lesson in humility is good every now and again, right?  Well, I’m taking my medicine via going to every single extra practice offered without making excuses. I will nail those suckers on the 16th.  And that is all there is to it!

On top of all this rehearsing, I really need to get my new family (aka my husband’s overseas family members) Christmas gifts in the mail by the 10th.  Gifts that I’m making and have not finished yet.  Tis the season?

No comments:

Post a Comment