Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I must read too many blogs

Weight and fitness have always been an issue for me.  I’m 5’2”, and I love to eat.  Those two things can often be a bad combo, and I’ve been overweight before.  When I decided to do something about being overweight (Winter 2005), I made a promise to myself never to get back to that point again.  I didn’t really make that promise because I was “that big” or because weighing 20 pounds more than I do now is “that bad for you”.  No, unfortunately, being that heavy was an outward sign of a whole lot of inner turmoil manifesting itself.  So, while trying to cope with and change the parts of my life that cause me to be unhappy and in that state of constant turmoil, I tackled the more tangible pounds in the process.  I find that very often, if I’m putting on weight these days, I’m very likely dealing with something that has not a darn thing to do with food!  

Nonetheless, I still find tackling excess poundage to be therapeutic and a way for me to feel like I’m making positive changes in my life instead of focusing on the negative.  

So, in that spirit, I’ve decided to tackle something that I never, ever thought I’d be interested in doing.  I’m going to run a 5K!

Okay, some of you out there might have just gone “you’re making this big a deal out of running 3.1 miles?”.  Um…..yes.  See, I’m not a runner.  AT ALL.  I barely ran around the track with I was a kid (they thought I was asthmatic and would get shin splints, so they let me walk a lot).  So running, even a mile, would be well above and beyond anything I ever thought I was capable of.  

Then I started walking Riley, and one day, she took off in a run.  I had her leash.  So, it was be dragged, jerk the dog, or run with her.  So, I tried a little sprint.  Hmm….not so bad.  Now, I still haven’t done all out run, run, run.  That seems a bit hasty!

The running seed was planted after a week of on-and-ff sprinting with Riley.  I read a lot of healthy living blogs, and they all run.  They make it look, dare I say, fun.  Plus, I am really sick of the gym.  I’m still not comfortable there.  So, I thought that this is a good way to keep moving but not be so dependent on the gym.  After reading up on being a beginning runner, I decided to do the Cool Runnings Couch to 5K plan.

I did my first “training” session today!  I’ll tell you about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment