Friday, July 30, 2010

Food in Review

As I said on Monday, I needed a week that went fairly smoothly after the chaos of "first week with puppy" was still lingering. So, I did a whole lot of double duty dinners, as Robin Miller would say.

Sunday, I made a healthier version of Sloppy Joes from Ellie Krieger. This is the first time I'd made sloppy joe sauce from scratch. The odd thing about this recipe? It contained an entire can of beans! The only thing I did differently than the recipe was the I pureed all the veg/beans before adding them and used 93/7 lean ground turkey. Our joes were served on whole wheat buns with oven-fried sweet potato fries and English-inspired peas and onions. This mean appeared again on Wednesday (since I had belly dance rehearsal and would be making dinner late), except with jalapeno-spiced corn instead of peas. They were intensely good!

Monday, I made beef and broccoli. No recipe except what was in my head on most of it. I used a thin sliced sirloin sliced thin. A little tip: stick the steak in the freezer about 15 minutes before you slice it. You'll get beautifully sliced steak with ease. I was super excited to make this dish, because I was adding tofu cooked according to the Front Burner Blog's tutorial. It made the tofu so amazingly chewy, meaty, and all around wonderful. The only thing it didn't do? Give it flavor. I stir fired the beef, broccoli, soy, ginger, onions, shrirasha, and rice wine vinegar. Then I added the tofu after it was browned. I served it over wild rice.


Tuesday we had a buffalo wing inspired salad. I used baby organic spinach dressed with greek yogurt with horseradish. Add in baby carrots, green bell peppers, and bleu cheese plus sliced chicken breast marinated in Frank's Red Hot sauce! Spicy and cool and creamy.


Thursday, I used the left overs from the beef and broccoli to make fried rice, just added carrots and brown rice and stir fried the heck out of it. Let me tell you....the tofu marinated in the seasonings and it was the highlight of this meal! So glad I did that. I'll be doing it again for certain! Nom!

Some little extras from the week: spinach and bacon quiche, zucchini and summer squash with tomato basil pesto quiche (both for our lunches all week), homemade hummus, and homemade mixed nut (peanut, almond, walnut, and sunflower) butter!


And to send you into Friday right, here's Frog Puppy!


Happy Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment