Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Granola Bars - Attempt #2

Attempts 2 and 3 of my quest to make my own granola bars happened on Monday. I want to make healthy bars with ingredients that I feel good about eating while not paying $2 a bar. That's all. Not too much to ask right?

So, attempt two was found on a recipe sharing site. I can't even remember which one! I was intrigued by it because it used a cup of yogurt as the base. I love cooking with yogurt.

Here's the recipe:

1c whole wheat flour
3/4 c oats
1c dried fruit, chopped (unsweetened cranberries or dried apricots)
1/2c raisins
1/2c wheat bran
1tsp baking powder
1/4tsp baking soda
2 apples, grated
1/2c nuts and seeds (sunflower and pumpkins seeds)
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
1c fat free plain yogourt
1tbs vegetable oil
3 egg whites (or two eggs worth of egg replacer)
***optional: unsweetened coconut, more fruit, more nuts, applesauce,mashed bananas ,different flours, cereal, protein shake mix, whatever you want!

Method:
***optional, toast the oats, nuts and coconut

Set oven to 350F (180C). Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix flour, oats, dried fruit, raisins, bran, baking powder, baking soda and apple (or banana). Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk yogort, oil and eggs. Stir into dry ingredients. Spread mixture into pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and slice into either 12 or 16 bars.

I did used sunflower seeds, pepitas, walnuts, and two tablespoons of sucunat.


The verdict? They're dense! They're like an oatmeal block of chewy goodness. I love the texture. The hubby and I agreed, though, it needs more sweetness. So, I think I'll up the sucunat next time. Also, they were incredibly easy to make! I'll be making these again for certain!

No comments:

Post a Comment