Tuesday, July 13, 2010

In case you wondered...

.....what on earth food and cooking has to do with a blog about planning a marriage and being in a relationship, I'll tell you my take on it.

In my family, food is a way to show someone you care about them. Many, many times, I've passed along a pan of enchiladas or lasagna or peanut noodles AS A GIFT to my mom, grandparents, brother, uncles....you name it....for a birthday or anniversary gift. At Christmas, I often hand out homemade goodies. While I'm sure that practice happens a lot at holidays, I'm not so sure that spinach enchiladas count as a "really awesome gift" in many other families than mine (and yes my grama asked for them almost every time I see her). I think somewhere along the lines, my family decided that feeding a person was the ultimate gesture of love.

As a wife, I cook a lot. One, it's cheaper, and I'm a cheapskate. Two, it's healthier, and I want us to be vital and happy together for a really long time. Three, I love him immensely, and I can think of no better way of showing him every day. So, I generally make all three meals. Now, he's still just a cereal guy, but I usually take it to his study in the morning. I pack both of our lunches almost every day complete with snacks for the day. And dinner is usually the focus of the evening. It's no wonder that my fancy/splurge gadgets are kitchen devices, no?

So, that's why you see so much about food on my blog. How do you show affection?

No comments:

Post a Comment