Friday, August 13, 2010

Food in Review, but not really

I’ve become a food snob!

There I said it. The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?

The realization came this week. Honestly, I think the knowledge of this has been secretly building for quite some time now, but it was really driven home THIS week.

What’s so special about this week?

Well first, we had a company luncheon. We have about one a month. Lately though, I’ve been really, really picking around what they bring. A few months ago the luncheon was chicken fried chicken or steak with mashed potatoes and salad. I love mashed potatoes, but I’d probably die if I knew EXACTLY how much fat were in these mashed potatoes. That time, I made the best of it and brought stuff to put on the green salad: boiled eggs, feta, crumbled turkey bacon and some other veggies. Most people neglect the salad anyhow so it worked out. This time, however, they said they were bringing in Chinese from a well-known Chinese chain fast-food restaurant. Yeah, I couldn’t bring myself to eat that. I packed my lunch as usual. (They ended up getting some sushi from another spot to supplement the meal and I did have some of that!) I’m sure that seems odd. It’s a free lunch after all! But it isn’t what I want to put in my body. And I think I’ve finally realized that it’s okay to skip a “free” meal and not care about what other people might think about that choice.

Secondly, I have an overwhelming urge to go back to the Coppell farmers market to get our weekly groceries BEFORE the 10am D&D game on Saturday! The market is only open on Saturdays. So, it’s before D&D or not at all this week. I’d have to be there at 8am when it opens to do that! Really?! Ugh. What is WRONG with me! But, but, but…..grass fed, free range meats and organic dairy and veg and Great Harvest breads!!! Do I really want to go without these goodies all week just to laze around a bit on Saturday morning?

I have a problem. I need help.

Also...I didn't take a single food photo this week. I know, I am ashamed. So, as a run down, we had:


  • Steak sliced and dipped in a balsamic reduction with pear onions and baked potatoes
  • Patty melts with free-range, grass-fed beef and artisan rye
  • Stomboli with seasoned ground beef and smoked ham and two very tasty specialty cheeses wrapped in Great Harvest whole wheat pizza dough
  • Pasta primavara with market-fresh zucchini, onions, tomato and spinach "pesto"
  • Ruebens on the rye above with the ham from above and the cheese from above with fresh potato salad with a greek yogurt sauce
Not bad if I do say so myself! Happy Friday - it's nachos tonight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment