Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Next steps

So, if you couldn’t tell explicitly from yesterday’s post, yes, I am quite bitter over having to pay back a student loan on what has turned out to be a useless waste of a degree. But…..am I glad I got the degree? Oh yes. Hands down, I’ll never regret fulfilling the promise that I made to myself to get at least a bachelor’s in this lifetime. Preferably before 30. Both of which I did. It’s important to keep promises to yourself, don’t you think?

So what now? Keep looking for a new avenue, I suppose. I’m not unemployable (obviously, as I’ve been with the same company just a few months shy of 10 years). I just have a regrettable major! Surely that isn’t the same as being unemployable.

I feel that there is so much more out there for me. Like I’m simply not living up to my potential. That’s not something I really ever felt until I met and married my husband (this post describes how I feel about that to a T). And clearly, as I no longer have work or school related challenges to face, I’m not. It’s only when faced with things to hurdle that we become something greater. Or at least that’s how I’ve always felt. I create challenges in my personal life to compensate (this blog, my etsy store, raise and train a dog, cook healthier and cleaner, lose those nagging pounds, be a better wife). Those things are very fulfilling, but I feel like a piece is missing when I’m not doing something I’m passionate about for a living. And I cannot seem to convince anyone that they NEED me on their team. Am I simply looking in the wrong places? Not just in the wrong place for job postings, but am I looking in the wrong field entirely? Just because I have a business degree in financial services and have worked as an accountant for all these years….does that mean I should continue to do so? And what should I do if not this? I don’t feel qualified for anything else.
I’m totally at a loss as to what the next steps should be for my life…for our lives as a couple, because my decisions have an effect on our family unit. This is something I literally struggle with daily, but have kept off the blog as much as possible. It’s definitely on the forefront of my mind today, and so, it seemed time to let it out on my little public forum.

I’ll come up with something brighter and cheerier tomorrow. Promise.

1 comment:

  1. I keep hoping that someday I'll figure out what I want to be when I grow up. lol

    ReplyDelete